Sunday 29 July 2012

Mixed Week

This week has been a week of acute and diagnostics and continued care all thrown into one. I went from the ICU to a care facility to Sleep. It was an alright week, but I kinda felt like I was all over the place because I literally was. I got a few more competencies checked off but know I have lots to learn and fully understand. I am also thinking I may need a sleep study done on myself as I tend to feel tired when I should be fully alert. Maybe I am actually tired from lack of sleep or maybe I am just less interested in the non-acute side of respiratory therapy?
The people I have worked with have been really friendly and show varying interest in my learning by the way they preceptor me. Some just let me do whatever I want, some ask questions first to see what I am thinking before doing something.Some preceptors just ask me on the spot with the patient "So, you set them up on the vent. Are you happy with these settings? what are you going to do now?" and such. Some preceptors do things for me, which I don't really enjoy them doing that much. I want to learn and be competent at doing the entire shift. If I am going to take a blood gas please do not enter it into the computer for me. Although that is extremely nice and would be deemed helpful if we were colleagues, I want to be able to perform the entire task enough times that I can feel 100% competent at it.
Discussing patients care with doctors at first was kind of intimidating, but the doctors at this hospital are friendly and create a good work and learning environment that makes it alot easier.
I have now seen future options and different directions I can take with my career if I get tired or for some reason can not handle the acute side. For right now, I want to be in the acute side but things may change as I get older and priorities change.
One thing that hasn't changed and will never change is that there is always something to learn. Everyday there is something new or something to review. And it is not just because I am new to RT. There are always advancements and different ways to do things as well as getting another view point on something you thought you understood completely.I enjoy continued learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment